, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > Hierarchical pages

FlexCMS Support Forum

Hierarchical pages
Started April 5, 2006 @ 8:51pm by rvdc2005
Post Message 
rvdc2005

Hierarchical pagesApril 5, 2006 @ 8:51pm
Maybe I'm missing something really simply, but I can't figure out how I can create hierarchical pages. I create a page that shows up in my menu on the left. How do I then create pages "below" that page, so that you get the breadcrumbs trails at the top of the pages, like:
Main Page 1 > Subpage 1-1 > Subpage 1-1-1, etc.

Thanks
Ron

DCSun
Administrator

April 5, 2006 @ 10:02pm
Ron,

Unfortunately that isn't an option with FlexCMS as of right now. We do plan to offer that in a future version.

It's worth noting that you can access the navigation menu area by changing the $LocationBar variable from a PHP-enabled page, however that most likely isn't what you were hoping for.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

rvdc2005

April 6, 2006 @ 10:26am

Quote (DCSun)

Unfortunately that isn't an option with FlexCMS as of right now. We do plan to offer that in a future version.

Mm, that's disappointing. I would think that's pretty basic functionality for a CMS. Will it be in version 2.0?
When I look at some of the showcase sites, they do seem to have something in place that creates a page hierarchy because their breadcrumb trails consist of multiple elements. How do they do that then?

Thanks
Ron

otter
Administrator

April 6, 2006 @ 11:01am
Hi Ron,

We have done some custom programming for several clients which are probably the sites you've seen. We have members who have also done similiar things using a series of php scripts. If you would like help creating something like this for your site, let us know and we'll try to assist you.

We do have this on our list for future development as we believe it will be a great feature for FlexCMS.

Thanks!

otter

ONLINE TRAINING CLASSES FOR FLEXCMS IN MAY: FlexCMS Basics (101), Sat., May, 15, 2010 & FlexCMS Blocks (Mon., May 10, 2010).

Last Edit: April 6, 2006 @ 12:57pm by otter
rvdc2005

April 6, 2006 @ 1:07pm

Quote (otter)

We have done some custom programming for several clients which are probably the sites you've seen. We have members who have also done similiar things using a series of php scripts. If you would like help creating something like this for your site, let us know and we'll try to assist you.

Essentially I have a "main page" called "Classes," which would be in the navigation menu on the left (that's easy enough). Underneath that, there would be separate pages for each class (say, "Class 1,", "Class 2," "Class 3," etc.). Each of these main class pages would have links to its curriculum, schedule, registration info, etc.

The breadcrumb trail for the "main page" would then be "Home > Classes," and the trail each of the classes would be "Home > Classes > Class 1," "Home > Classes > Class 1 > Curriculum," etc.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers to accomplish this. (Some basic PHP scripts would be great. I know my way around PHP well enough to modify them to my specific needs.)

Thanks!
Ron

DCSun
Administrator

April 6, 2006 @ 5:17pm
Ron,

As Kel/Otter mentioned, those other FlexCMS sites you've probably seen are highly customized, and use thousands of lines of custom code along with additional databases to do what they have there.

That said, you can create something more basic to accomplish what you're looking for. Essentially what those scripts do is access the $LocationBar variable, which you can do too through a PHP-enabled page. You can experiment with the code below and see where that gets you.

David

Code

$LocationBar = '<a href="'.$BaseURL.'">Home</a> > <a href="'.$MainURL.'/pages/listings.html">Listings</a> > '.$Title1;

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.08638 seconds.

Management Login