, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > Shopping cart questions

FlexCMS Support Forum

Shopping cart questions
Started August 14, 2007 @ 4:56pm by ddelor
Post Message 
ddelor

Shopping cart questionsAugust 14, 2007 @ 4:56pm
I am thinking about changing to FlexCMS for my shopping cart but can't figure out a few things just looking at it.

How many options can there be per product, such as size, color,etc? I have some items requiring 4 or 5 and some needing a text box for customizing instructions. I can work around the textbox if there is an option to add comments at checkout.

Can more than one photo be added for an item?

Thanks!
Donna

DCSun
Administrator

August 14, 2007 @ 5:42pm
Donna,

Glad to hear you're thinking about switching your cart to FlexCMS.

There can be one or two dropdowns for the product options, which will populate automatically depending on the available items that match those options. The titles for the options can also be different per product, so for example one product could have Size and Color, and another could have Width and Length. Each combination (such as XXL in Blue) becomes its own Item within that Product, and has its own individual price and inventory number (if you choose to track inventory). Then you would create another item for each of the other combinations (XXL Green, Small Blue, Small Green, etc). If you created those four items from my quick example above, you would have a dropdown for Sizes containing Small and XXL, and a second dropdown for Color containing Blue and Green. The second dropdown changes after a selection is made from the first, so if XXL was only available in Green for example, the color dropdown would only contain Green when XXL was selected, but would contain Blue and Green when Small was selected.

At this point those are the only product options available. A text box for custom orders or something like that isn't currently available, however there is a large text area at the final checkout page where instructions could be entered. And of course we're always trying to make FlexCMS better to fit the needs of our clients, so we'd love to hear any changes you would make to have it work better for your store.

Yes, you can add up to 5 pictures for each product. They will generate thumbnails automatically and then can be clicked on for the larger version.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

ddelor

August 14, 2007 @ 6:39pm
Thanks David!
I guess the best way to learn is to start building a store.The multiple photo feature is not available in many carts and now I am using a comment box on checkout (Cubecart). I purchased a textbox mod but lose it among many others every time an update has to be done, too frequent for me with so many 3rd party add-ons needed.

Over 2 years with FlexCMS and I am still as pleased with the quality and support as I was the first day!

Wolf

Another shopping questionNovember 26, 2007 @ 1:49pm
I'm building a subscription website. I have some free content that guests can access, but the good stuff, i.e. flex modules (forums, calendar, photos, etc) are all in my members side of the site.

I have my:
"Site Preferences Setup" -->
"allow guest registrations" == "NO"

In my Store are various membership options for potential members to purchase.

Guests are able to see the store and add membership packages to their shopping carts.

When they go to checkout, Step 1 of 4 of the checkout process prompts them to login or create a new account.

But with guest registrations disabled they are not able to complete their transaction.

Aside from allowing guest registrations and custom code, can you suggest a way to accomplish this with Out-of-the-box-Flex?

Thanks!
Wolf

DCSun
Administrator

November 26, 2007 @ 3:00pm
Wolf,

Probably the best way to accomplish it would be to allow guest registrations, and then increase the level required to view your premium content. New users are always level 1 unless you increase them, so you could do level 2, 3, 4, etc for paid content, and only those who've been increased to those levels would be able to access it.

As far as actually increasing them to those levels, there are a couple options. One would be for you to manually process the order when payment is received, and increase the user to the level they've purchased access to. That doesn't require any code or changes. The other option would be to use PayPal's IPN (Instant Payment Notification) system to automatically increase their user level. That would require some custom code in a page, which you can create yourself or we could put in place for you as a custom programming bid. We do plan to add IPN features into the FlexCMS eCommerce package in the future, but currently there's no way to automate the process you've described with the stock FlexCMS code.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Wolf

Thanks!November 26, 2007 @ 7:28pm
David,

Thanks for your (as always) prompt reply to my query.

I like your suggestion to allow guest registrations, and then increase the level required to view your premium content. :-D

Looking forward to your PayPal IPN integration in a future version of Flex.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Wolf

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.07988 seconds.

Management Login