, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > News article limitation?

FlexCMS Support Forum

News article limitation?
Started November 27, 2007 @ 3:12pm by Wolf
Post Message 
Wolf

News article limitation?November 27, 2007 @ 3:12pm
Is there a limitation in the number of articles that will be displayed withing a news category? I have an instance where they are not all showing up on my news index page...

Thank you.
Wolf

DCSun
Administrator

November 27, 2007 @ 3:36pm
Wolf,

Are you using the main articles system page (index.php/articles), or the "Add Articles to a Page" code?

The main articles page should display all the articles in that category, but to save space on the page it only shows the teaser and photo for the ten most recent ones, with the rest having just the article title.

If you're using the code to insert them in a page, it may be that you've got a limit set and it's only displaying that number of articles.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Wolf

BothNovember 28, 2007 @ 12:17am
Hi David,

I'm doing both.

On my main index page (index.php) I'm displaying articles with a limit (as intended)... showing the last three articles.

In the main articles system page (index.php/articles) I have four news categories at the top and below that I see ten articles below that all with images.

In reality, the four news categories have:
* Category 1 has 5 articles total
* Category 2 has 11 articles total
* Category 3 has 3 articles total
* Category 4 has 3 articles total

All articles have an associated image.

One of the articles is set to appear in three of the categories (1,2 and 3)

I don't see the remaining 11 articles on the main articles system page (index.php/articles)

From the main articles system page (index.php/artcles), when I click on each news category is see:
* Category 1 - 5 articles w/images
* Category 2 - 10 articles w/images and 1 article w/no image
* Category 3 - 3 articles w/images
* Category 4 - 3 articles w/images

(This is starting to sound like a word problem... if a train leaves the station in DeMoines and a car crosses a bridge... LOL)

I was thinking I should be seeing 20 articles on the main articles page. Is that correct?

On the main articles page, is there a way to show images for all articles rather than for just the first ten?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Wolf

Last Edit: November 28, 2007 @ 12:20am by Wolf
DCSun
Administrator

November 28, 2007 @ 3:05pm
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does the owner still get fined for illegal logging? -- Oh, sorry, wrong topic!

You'll only see the articles on the main page which are assigned to the Top Level category. Any articles which are in a category (and not also in the Top Level directly) will not display on the main page.

To adjust the main articles page (and actually all the articles pages do that, not just the main one), so it shows the full version for more than 10, you can make a small update to the code of the "inc-na-idx.php" as follows:

Main articles page:
Line 415 should read "...ORDER BY DateCode DESC LIMIT 10",
and 502 should read "...ORDER BY DateCode DESC LIMIT 10,100", so you can change the 10 in both places (and make sure it's the same in both places or you'll get duplicates or missing articles) to suit your taste. The 100 is the total it will show, which can also be adjusted if you wish.

Sub categories:
Lines 596 and 683 should look the same as above, respectively, and may be changed accordingly with the same effect.

As with any code changes, you should keep a copy of the original file in case you run into any problems along the way. It's also a good idea to keep notes on what you've modified so you can duplicate those when it comes time to upgrade to a newer version.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Wolf

November 28, 2007 @ 10:51pm
David,

Thanks for the detailed information... your explanation makes perfect sense.

As always, Flex support is the best!

Cheers,
Wolf

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.07601 seconds.

Management Login