, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > News/Article Problem

FlexCMS Support Forum

News/Article Problem
Started December 29, 2008 @ 10:17pm by mrimen2004
Post Message 
mrimen2004

News/Article ProblemDecember 29, 2008 @ 10:17pm
I have the News/Articles Module installed. I want to make certain areas available for the non-members to view. I created a page that then pulls from the news/articles portion. The code is as follows:

<DIV>
{FlexCMS-Articles|2|0,100|2}
</DIV>

This takes the users to the page that I created and displays the articles, however, when the users click on the tab to read the FULL ARTICLE:

... [Read More]

the user is then kicked back to my home page. Can you explain why this happens? Thanks for your help.

Rich

DCSun
Administrator

December 30, 2008 @ 11:31am
Rich,

This sounds like the same issue you were asking about here: http://www.flexcms.com/index.php/forum/thread/317.html. My answer is essentially the same, but I'll try and give you some more information to point you in the right direction.

We've not heard of this issue from anyone else using FlexCMS, and given that you mentioned in the other thread you were going to check with someone else who worked on the site, you must have custom code somewhere that's redirecting them back from those articles. It could either be in one of the source files, or a PHP-enabled menu block.

The easiest way is obviously to ask the person who set it up where that code is, but if that's not possible for whatever reason, you can track it down on your own. Your first step is to turn all your menu blocks (just the ones with PHP code in them) off one at a time, and try the articles after each one is turned off -- I presume you'll turn one of them off and discover that's where your issue was.

If you've turned all your PHP blocks off and the issue still persists, you can also try replacing index.php and inc-na-idx.php from the upgrade installation package to flush out any modifications made there.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

mrimen2004

December 30, 2008 @ 2:49pm
David,

Thanks for your reply. I did try to find out from the person that initially set up the menu block with the links to the articles but he said that he didn't do any custom coding. I'll do as you mentioned to see if that locates the problem.

Rich

mrimen2004

December 31, 2008 @ 7:49am
David,

I spent a couple of hours working on this issue last night. I think what MIGHT be happening is that the person who created the articles has done something wrong. I have no idea what at this point though. I maintain another website that also uses FLEXCMS. I completely copied the index.php and the article view program over to my problem site. The issue STILL occurs. I think what might be happening is that when guests are attempting to view the news article, it's not checking for a $UserLevel but aborting for some unknown reason. IF I can figure it out, I'll post the resolution here for you and others to check for future occurrances. Otherwise, I'm just going to ignore using articles for what I intended and create open pages. Thanks again for your advice.

Rich

DCSun
Administrator

December 31, 2008 @ 10:34am
Rich,

FlexCMS doesn't have the ability to prevent users from viewing the article, everyone gets to view everything no matter whether they're logged in or not. So it's one of two things:

1) Changes to the source files, which can be verified by replacing them with the ones from the Update package on the Downloads page;

2) A block of custom code that's intercepting the full article page loading and redirecting the user somewhere else.

If you say you copied source files over to a new site (and presumably didn't move any database content such as blocks), try going back to the original source files to remove any that were modified after installation.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.10352 seconds.

Management Login