, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > MySQL user privileges question

FlexCMS Support Forum

MySQL user privileges question
Started July 8, 2009 @ 8:51pm by welby
Post Message 
welby

MySQL user privileges questionJuly 8, 2009 @ 8:51pm
Database question for MySQL.

Before adding the user to the database, what permissions should I select for the user?

Should I select "ALL privileges"? or pick and choose from select, insert, update, delete, index, create temporary tables, create, alter, drop, lock tables, references.

Would someone kindly advise the best way to handle privileges prior to adding user to database in cpanel.

Thank you,

welby

Last Edit: September 19, 2009 @ 8:39pm by welby
DCSun
Administrator

July 8, 2009 @ 9:04pm
Hi Welby,

First off, creating a separate MySQL user for FlexCMS is a great thing to do for security reasons. If that account gets compromised for whatever reason, they'll only have access to the database instead of also having access to your FTP, mail, hosting control panel, or whatever else was all connected together on your main account. It also allows you to pick a really cryptic password, since you'll never have to type it anywhere, it's just stored in the settings.php file.

As for your question about which permissions you need to grant, you probably could just go with them all and be okay, that's generally what I do. Personally I think you're much better off picking a secure password and limiting it to just MySQL. Technically, FlexCMS currently doesn't use temporary tables, references, or locking, so those can be removed if you like, though they're not hurting anything by being on there, you can't really do any damage with them. You can take off create, alter, and drop if you don't plan to use the FlexCMS backup system to restore from (and you could always add those if you needed to restore a site). Select, insert, update, and delete are definitely all used in the day-to-day operations of your site.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.07314 seconds.

Management Login