, Guest!
Already a Member? Login or Register.

Menu

Showcase

Due to the volume of spam happening on our forums, posting is now restricted to verified members only.  If you're not verified, drop us a note with your username.

Home > FlexCMS Support Forum > User Help > General Support Requests > Guest access for forums

FlexCMS Support Forum

Guest access for forums
Started May 25, 2011 @ 8:22pm by Wolf
Post Message 
Wolf
Administrator

Guest access for forumsMay 25, 2011 @ 8:22pm
Hey Dave, Otter,

I have two questions about the Forums which I didn't see asked (though may have missed it)...

I have a client who would like to allow everyone, including GUESTS to post to the forums. The permissions for them are all set at "0 - Everyone", but Guests still receive a msg saying they must first login before posting.

Question #1
After glancing at the code, I'm thinking two modules need to be changed:

Code

inc-mb-thread_post.php
inc-mb-thread_compose.php

In particular, lines where the following appears:

Code

if ($Permissions[201] != 'y') { ... etc.

Question #2
I'm guessing this will probably allow all guests to modify and delete other guests code as a result?

Anything else that should be considered? (oops, three questions - LOL)

Thanks,
Wolf

Last Edit: May 25, 2011 @ 8:23pm by Wolf
DCSun
Administrator

May 25, 2011 @ 11:04pm
Wolf,

Interesting questions. Have you tried granting that permission ("Post Messages and Create Topics") to the Guests level? I don't know whether it will work or not, but that's a good place to start.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Wolf
Administrator

May 26, 2011 @ 6:43am
That access level (-1) doesn't show up in the drop down list of permission levels...

DCSun
Administrator

May 26, 2011 @ 9:38am
I see it here. Just to make sure we're in the same place, I'm talking about "Manage Permission Levels", then checking the box for "Post Messages and Create Topics" under the Guests / 0 level.

But I don't know that it's going to work. I seem to recall this was mentioned way back when, and though I don't remember if it actually works to allow guests to post, I know the one issue you're going to have is unwanted posts - both human and automated.

David

FlexCMS v3.2 Has Been Released!

Wolf
Administrator

May 26, 2011 @ 8:53pm
Hi David,

That was too easy! I was trying to make it much harder <drat> - LOL

Yep, I changed the permission level for Guest to allow posting to the forums and it did indeed let me do it as guest. I, like you, am sure we'll get a bunch of unwanted posts and spam ... but some clients ... well, you knowSmile

Hugs and thanks a-pleanty!
Wolf

Last Edit: May 26, 2011 @ 8:54pm by Wolf

Post Message 

Try & Buy FeedForAll - Easy to use RSS Feed Creator - great for iTunes users!

MEMBERS

All Contents, Code, Scripts and Technologies Copyright 2003-2009 FlexCMS.
All Rights Reserved. Software License Agreement

Processing Time: 0.07676 seconds.

Management Login